NATASJA EXEL

applied art - a contradictio in terminis happily applied on this blog

illustrations / projects / picture books / story telling / applied art



Friday 1 February 2013

SCHOOLLIFE




Part II

‘Something strange is happening there…’

(Very educational, sir. Especially the muffled laughter.)


Perceptual Studies 2D
Ahoy, and paint away maties!

From September till January I sincerely tried to paint my dishware in an interesting way. I ended up trying to at least make it look like the dishware I knew and used. Ovals and perspective turned out to be the unwilling dog that wouldn’t translate from theory to practice. But the real enemy was the paint itself. It didn’t work for me or with me. It was actually trying to do the opposite of everything I wanted it to do. On purpose.
(But..ahum... in all honesty I have to mention that I didn’t practice enough. I wasn’t a real Spartan this painting season. But I passed. And I like my work.)

We all know that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. These are my children that I (like every parent with one eye closed) love and adore. Even there really is something strange happening there…

first practice, the colourcard


And then, when we were just getting familiar with this assignment, we got another one. We had to paint life models. Here are three, two studies from the class (we had two and a half hour to paint a real human) and one self-portrait. You guess which is what (or who).  



And that was probably the end of an illustrious painting career.

Or, see you next week, when we continue the course. Ahoy!

No comments: